Daniel R. Gutenplan, Shareholder
Daniel is a fixer. He helps high net worth individuals and mid-tier businesses extricate themselves from crises when their financial lives are on the line, and he ensures that his clients safeguard their business and personal assets moving forward. Daniel’s clients put their trust in him to find innovative and efficient solutions to their most pressing obstacles so that they can increase their profitability and sleep better at night.
Daniel serves as outside general counsel for numerous corporate clients across various industries, including real estate, entertainment and media, construction, and food and beverage. Daniel provides companies with day-to-day counseling on a broad range of transactional and governance matters and dedicates much of his practice to helping his clients avoid litigation. Daniel has also overseen and engineered more than $100 million in corporate transactions, including acquisitions, asset sales, stock redemptions, and corporate buyouts.
When litigation is an inevitability, Daniel is at his best. Daniel is an experienced litigator who has tried numerous cases in both state and federal court, as well as before various arbitration tribunals. Daniel represents a diverse range of clients, from Fortune 500 companies to private equity firms, in a wide range of disputes. Daniel specializes in matters involving business divorces, intellectual property, labor and employment, trusts and estates, real estate, accounting and auditing malpractice, right of publicity, and licensing disputes.
Daniel’s most notable litigation victories include the following representative matters:
- Obtained multimillion-dollar fraud verdict on behalf of plaintiff arising from $43 million sale of dialysis centers.
- Following a seven-week jury trial, obtained complete defense verdict and multimillion-dollar verdict on counterclaim, including an award of punitive damages and attorneys’ fees, on behalf of publicly-traded global engineering firm.
- Obtained summary judgment ruling and complete dismissal in defense of world’s largest stock photo agency in $40 million licensing dispute.
- Represented prominent actress at trial in successful defense against $10 million breach of contract claim.
- Obtained complete defense verdict at trial on behalf of renowned celebrity in dispute concerning ownership of multi-million dollar portrait.
Daniel has been selected as a Southern California “Rising Star” from 2011 through 2018, and he was recognized as a Top 25 Orange County Rising Star in 2015 and 2018. While in law school, Daniel was an extern to the Honorable Laurence D. Rubin on the California Court of Appeal, 2nd District.